Building character in children is not an easy task. Here are some useful tips that should help your child become an empathic, loving, and warm natured citizen.
- On his/her birthday have your child donate their old toys to a charity or family
- Participate in a beach/neighborhood clean-up
- Give him/her chores appropriate for their age
- Buy/check out books that teaches children about character
- Role play with your child(ren) and give them various "what-if" scenarios
- Be a role model for your child(ren) (they listen to and watch everything, so choose your words and actions wisely)
- When they don't make the sports team, get a bad grade, didn't get the part in the play, or didn't accomplish the goal that they set out for, help them build resiliency by reviewing what they did wrong in order to get it right the next time.
- Lastly, celebrate the "Grey Area" (the effort your child put forth to achieve a goal that was not attained) it helps boost self-esteem and self-worth.
We hope you find these tips useful, feel free to comment!